Monday, November 1, 2010

Friends! I read and hear a lot about the importance of good friends. It seems like, in these times, it is easy to feel crowded and surrounded by people, all the while feeling more and more isolated and alone. Or misunderstood. Or marginalised. Whatever it is, it doesn't feel that good.
The last contact I had with a good friend wasn't that flash. I was right in the midst of quite a lot going on and, rightly or wrongly was feeling overwhelmed. Earthquake aftermath, big aftershocks still going on, working in a 'warzone' (tidying up the utter mess at the University library-stressfull!), inlaw visit from Australia, all on top of the usual shit of everyday family and suburban life. He obviously had his own stuff going on too. But the meeting was prickly. He told me to get over myself.

I basically haven't heard from him since. It hasn't been that long I guess, so no need for over reaction. But my question is, what exactly is a good friend? In my view, I should be able to shovel any amount of shit his way, and he'll be OK with it. He'll come back in a few days and ask me how it's going. My feeling now is that he's probably got other people who are far more interesting/positive/beautiful/boyant/creative/smart/thoughtful or whatever. Who wouldn't want to spend time with them? Some would say, there is only so much most people would put up with. I hear the stories of people who go through divorce or some other life misfortune, and so called life time friends simply disappear. When the going gets awkward, they take off. Well, that sucks... Good friends, what are they really? How many people can say they truley have one? A really good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment