Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sir HM Tribute?

Who else is completely over the media coverage of Sir HM? And I accentuate, the media coverage. OK, so I have a few little issues with the enormous, week long farewell ceremonies which accompanied his death, but the man is resting in peace now, so I need to pay my dues.

The superlatives which flowed his way were somewhat over the top in my opinion. Why do we do this when someone passes away? The media reminded me many times daily that the entire country was in mourning. Well...not really. Prominent, and not so prominent New Zealanders were very quick to annoint Sir HM as the absolute and undisputed king of New Zealand entertainment. Well...there are others, actually. And many of them write their own material.

I'm not wishing to diminish the contribution he has made to the New Zealand musical and cultural landscape whatsoever. He was truley a great entertainer, who endured and crossed cultural and musical boundaries. I just ask for perspective here. I think my next entry better be on the living....

No comments:

Post a Comment